Friday, November 12, 2010

Flashback: My Grandfather

"Sumit? Are you here?" my grandpa asked.

He was lying on an old hospital bed and was covered from neck to toe in a lightning-white blanket. He gestured me towards him. Immediately I went and sat beside him on the bed.

I didn't quite know at that time what all this was about. I was only 5 years old. An inquisitive child that I was, I had so many questions that I wanted to ask my grandfather.

And I exactly did that.

"What has happened to you, dadu?
Why have you come here?
Why are you sleeping here, when you have your own bed at home?
Will you come home today with me?
Are you angry on someone? Is that why you left home?
Grandma cries, you know, since you are not with her at home.
Nobody is happy, dadu. I want to play ludo with you. Please come home."

There was a brief pause before grandpa gave me a feeble smile and brushed my hair with his hand.

He replied "I am fine and tell your grandma not to worry and I am not angry on anyone. I will come home soon. I am not well now. I am suffering from cold and cough just like you do during winter. I will be cured soon and I will be back to home in no time."

I was so happy to hear that.

"Let me massage your hands and legs. You must be in a lot of pain. It's been a week since you came here and I didn't get the chance to apply the pain balms." I said.

"I love you, Sumit and I miss you so much already. You are my treasure. I am glad that your father brought you here today. I am in peace now." He said in a crying tone.

I replied "Don't cry, dadu. I know you will be fine and when you come home I will let you see the news channel. I won't change it to the music channel anymore. Please come home soon."

Tears rolled down his cheeks. He pulled me towards him and hugged me tightly.

Then my father came there. He talked to grandpa a little and then declared that it was time to go now. I said goodbye to my dadu for the last time in my life.


My grandfather died in the year 1992. He was in his late sixties at that time. I was very small and I didn't understand a lot of things then. He called me his treasure. I am no gold but he was. He had a soft golden heart. He was a doctor himself and saved many lives. Why couldn't the other doctors give him a few more years. I wanted to know him more. I miss him so much.

I love you, dadu.

For Three Word Wednesday.
Prompts: gesture, immediate, treasure.

20 comments:

lalita choudhary said...

Loved the Post!!! I could almost feel it!! Tough I don't live with my grandparents but I love them soo muchh!!!

Deborah said...

This made me cry, beautiful and full of love, a wonderful thing to write for your grandfather.

nimaruichi said...

The last few lines... they tug at the heartstrings. A heartfelt tribute to your gandfather.

David Waters said...

such a beautiful tribute.

wordsworthmillions said...

A beautiful reminisce. When alls gone, only memories remain. You were just 5 and you remember all these.
Touched my heart.

wordsworthmillions said...

A beautiful reminisce. When alls gone, only memories remain. You were just 5 and you remember all these.
Touched my heart.

Sumit Sarkar said...

Thank you everyone for stopping by and reading this :)

Sumit Sarkar said...

@wordsworthmillions
This is one of the 2-3 memories that I have of him... :)

Gaurang Rao said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Wendilea said...

What a touching story Sumit. The tears are rolling down my cheeks, you ARE a treasure!

Jingle said...

fantastic story...

http://itistimetothinkformyself.blogspot.com/2010/11/november-greetings-appreciations.html

Thanks for sharing.
xx

uma.a said...

A great tribute to your grandfather!

Kind Spirit said...

Sumit, it is a beautiful tribute....moving words which are apt for a figure in your life who moved you and continues to do so. Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

What a very touching piece..you described perfectly how things appear when you are so young..thanks for your visit..Jae

Sumit Sarkar said...

@everyone
Thank you for reading this.. :)

Someone Is Special said...

Sumit, you are a fantastic story teller.. I love this take, sad but wonderfully written..

--Someone Is Special--

Shail Raghuvanshi said...

Oh Sumit this was so touching. I loved it. I am sure you have lovely memories of your Dadu. He sure will be watching over you wherever he is.

God Bless Dadu and You.
Shail

JamieDedes said...

What a loving and lovely homage. Where your dadu is, he knows! Well done kindness and sharing here. Thank you! And now I must go get the box of tissues.

Jamie

gospelwriter said...

What a lovely, sweet tribute to your grandpa - it brings tears to my eyes, remembering my own beloved grandpa, although he's been gone many years now.

Sumit Sarkar said...

Thank you SIS, Shail, JamieDedes and gospelwriter for reading this... :)

Search my blog...

Custom Search