Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Western Ghats - Beauty Unparalleled


I swayed like the monsoon wind
And traveled through the Western Ghats
Crossing rivers and valleys
Waterfalls and rocky edges

I bore with me
Moisture-laden dark clouds
Thunder and lightning - a magnificent view
While my heart trembled like coconut trees

I increased my pace
And reached the lush green grasslands
On the slopes of the ranges
To find a flock of dancing peacocks

They were beautiful and ecstatic
Lost in their own excitement
When there was a heavy downpour
As the clouds touched the hill tops

I was transfixed at the noble sight
But realized I had to move on
Monkeys, elephants I saw near the forest
Were enjoying the natural shower

Along the way
I heard the Great Indian Hornbill
Singing from beyond the woods
And it made me calm as I was not alone

I, finally reached my destination
A heavenly beach along the Arabian Sea
And I thanked Him heartily
For the wild was resting because of the rain


For Poetry Potluck at Jingle Poetry.
Theme: Nature - Plants, Creatures and the Cosmos!!.

Hi, fellow bloggers. If you want to read about Western Ghats, here's the Wikipedia link: Western Ghats.

17 comments:

gospelwriter said...

A beautiful poem - I felt like you took me on a journey of discovery. Thank you

Jingle Poetry said...

your words are fun to read...
stunning piece.
love the image on top.
Thanks for the unbeatable contribution to potluck week 12...

Smiles!
xxx

David Waters said...

I felt like I was right with you...beautiful.

SandyCarlson said...

A beautiful poem. I slip into rest with your words. Thank you, storm.

KMShear said...

Fantastic journey.

Rashmi said...

Hi Sumit,
Have you been to Kerala?
Beautiful poem.....

The Reason You Come said...

Lovely! You described the scenery beautifully, as well as the wonder and happiness you felt in watching creatures dancing or showering or just going about their business.

kavisionz said...

Delightfully refreshing, Sumit!!
Your words were so beautiful that I felt I was there!! Being from Bombay, with my native place in Mangalore, I know EXACTLY what you mean here...
Your poem totally resonated with me.... beautiful!!!
"While my heart trembled like coconut trees " -- LOVED this line THE MOST!!!

Sumit Sarkar said...

@gospelwriter, SandyCarlson
Thank you and you are welcome too... :)

Thank you Jingle for your support..

Thanks David, KMShear and The Reason You Come... :)

@Rashmi
Nope, I haven't been to Kerala..but I studied from Manipal, Karnataka..and have been to many beautiful places...thank you :)

Thanks kavisionz...
You and I have almost been to the same places then...

bodhirose said...

Beautiful journey with you described so wonderfully. I could see the vistas and hear the sounds...

fiveloaf said...

a lovely thoughtful piece!

dan roberson said...

Thanks for taking me along on your journey. I traveled through your eyes and words, and I give thanks also for your safe trip.

Chris G. said...

Sounds delightful - certainly a place to see. Would that mine own eyes could be graced with the image in person...perhaps one day. Nice journey, majestic image with a good flow.

JamieDedes said...

Sumit, what a grace filled poem. You took me right with you. What a dear and peaceful adventure. Well written. Well considered. Thank you! Happy potluck!

Sumit Sarkar said...

Thank you bodhirose, fiveloaf, Dan, Chris and Jamie... :)

SuziCate said...

I really like the wild was resting because of the rain! Thanks for including the link about the Gnats.

Sumit Sarkar said...

Thanks SuziCate... :)

Search my blog...

Custom Search