Wednesday, December 29, 2010

1st-6th August

Four years...

Four years had passed and my college life was over. I didn't even realize it. It was like, I came to my college for the first time yesterday. Anyway, I won't go through all the melodramatic experiences of the last day. I feel sad to remember the goodbyes. So, let me tell you about all the happy (well, not always) stuff that happened.

Finally, I was going home. It's not that I never went home during the holidays but this time it was really different. I was so excited. It was going to be a long journey. I always had to board two trains to reach home. One from Udupi(Manipal does not have a railway station) to Panvel(Mumbai) and then from Kalyan(Mumbai) to Jamshedpur(my hometown). This time, I had also decided to visit my maternal aunt who lives in Panvel.

The journey back home...

I had to board the train at night. I reached Udupi station before time as always. Who would have guessed that trains in India are never on time. And voilà! the announcement at the station declared that the train is two hours late. "Trains in India are always late" - this is like a carving on an ancient stone, but two hours??? All the excitement in me perspired out of me like sweat. It was rainy season in India, and so I thought, the railway lines must not be clear.

I waited and it seemed to me like an eternity. I was alone. There were a few people but they were all locals. I was bored to death and the journey back home had not even started.

After two hours...

The train finally arrived and I boarded the train. Well, it was quite late and I fell asleep. When I awoke in the morning, I heard an old couple talking about, how much late the train is. I couldn't hear clearly what they were saying. Soon, I realized that the train was ten hours late and was still waiting at some station. I asked the old man how and why is the train so late. He told me that there was a landslide somewhere along this route and the train halted for a long time when I was sleeping. I went outside the train and saw that it was Adavali station. Suddenly, there was an announcement regarding our train. They told that the landslide was between this station and Ratnagiri station and so, the government had decided to provide buses for all the passengers to reach Ratnagiri where we all can board another train that will be waiting for us.

I had three massive heavy bags with me and I had to carry them to the bus stand through a panicked mob. All the passengers were worried that they may miss the buses, and so they were rushing like they had to go to the toilet. Anyway, I got on one of the buses somehow. My hands were senseless after carrying those bags for like 15 minutes, climbing staircases too. When I reached Ratnagiri station after a two hour drive, I hired a coolie and he helped me carry my bags to the train.

My body was wasted after all this and head was aching like hell. I tried to sleep again after the train left Ratnagiri. I was supposed to reach Panvel in the afternoon. It was actually supposed to be a 16 hour journey but due to the landslide, I reached 13-14 hours late. My cousin was there to pick me up. I was relieved to see him. He helped me by carrying my bags. I shouldn't have let him, right? He is younger.

In Mumbai...

There was Internet connection at my aunt's house. I was happy to open facebook and my blogger account. My blog was only one month old at that time. I spent the rest of the time watching movies and chit-chatting with my kins. It was a two-day stay in Panvel. Finally the day came, and I had to board another train which was not much of a problem. My cousin's help again was heartily welcomed by me. I got on the train at Kalyan station. This time there was no landslide, no earthquake, no flood. Lucky this time. I reached jamshedpur. I was getting out of the station when I saw my father coming towards me with a smile that awakened the buried energy in me.

Finally home.

For Challenge#1 Months of the years at Pages from my mind.

21 comments:

Madeleine said...

Gosh what a journey! Lots to write about though :O)

Sumit Sarkar said...

Ya..I know..
a lot of things happened..
Initially, I thought of writing about this journey in 3-4 posts..
but I can't...schedule's too hectic..

Claudia said...

oh my - what a journey! thanks for sharing with us - can't imagine how it is to ride a train in india - but sounds quite adventurous

David Allen Waters said...

my gosh, what a journey:)

Deepika said...

memories never fade and the joys of nostalgia is unique... wow!

Harshika said...

ah!! memories , happiness , reality all in one place..

yes it is always good to be back home!!

ladynimue said...

thank you for the post ! And it was a fun read .. though i can imagine how difficult it must have been for you !!!

Chris G. said...

Wow! That's quite a trip, but that's the beauty of such things...always present an opportunity for writing about them. Thanks for the share - must have been quite the trial to get through, but you made it.

And going home again...its own sweet reward.

Brian Miller said...

dude this is awesome...loving readin peoplesstories and you took quite the journey...what a heartwarming end to this chapter...

Jingle said...

awesome achievement..
good luck on your career and more.

JamieDedes said...

What a trip. I love the end with your dad. Made me smile ...

Thanks for sharing your story.

Kim Nelson said...

Two of my three children graduated from university this year. Your piece gave me great insight into their current states of mind. I thank you.

vivek said...

Well Done :)

Sumit.

Wish You a very Happy New year 2011.

May this decade brings lots of Great things you think of ..comes true your way.

God bless you.

Tc
keep smiling.

bodhirose said...

Loved this story of your hardship of getting home but the end with you being reunited with your father was very sweet. :)

Thanks for sharing this bit of your life, Sumit.

gospelwriter said...

What a long journey! Reminds me of life, how often the journey 'home' seems arduous and fraught with danger...

Orange said...

Ha Ha... good writing and I think everyone in India has had atleast one such experience on a train or a flight or a bus!

Gaurav Sinha said...

Nice narration Sumit :) You make me remember my trips back home from college..

Sumit Sarkar said...

Thanks guys..
It was definitely a very long journey...
and I am sure many people in India must have experienced such situations... :)

Those Random Tales said...

Nice One!! :)

Catherine Mackie said...

India railways has been on my mind so much recently because we have got this absolutely delightful tv ad airing here at present advertising india railways... whenever it comes on everyone has to shut up so that i can enjoy it... a human 'train' choo-choo-chooing through a town... love it love it love it.... enjoyed your story that is probably closer to the truth about india railways lol. I've seen (again on tv) how crowded some of those trains can be... thanks for sharing the experience with us.

aconnectiontomyheart said...

Ah, all is well that ends well.. ! Interesting story, reminded me of my own college days and the lonely journeys - I never traveled for more than a couple of hours, because the parents always seem to follow! ;)
I like how you narrate - with great visuals about your heavy luggage.. Oops!
Jampot is close to heart, my husband's birth place! :)

Search my blog...

Custom Search